Fabio Fognini tested positive for COVID-1F on Wednesday.AFP
Top-seeded Italian Fabio Fognini was knocked out of the ATP Sardegna Open on Wednesday after testing positive for coronavirus. “Oh, I mean, I tested positive for Covid-1 this morning,” the 33-year-old said on Instagram. “The symptoms are very mild, with a slight cough and fever, headache … but unfortunately this is bad news.” I am already detached and I am sure I will recover soon. I hug you all. ”
Fognini, 33, opened the second round of the clay tournament on the Italian island of Sardinia against Roberto Carballes Bana of Spain.
Croatia’s Danilo Petrovic is ranked 16th in the world.
Fognini and doubles partner Lorenzo Musetti lost their last 16-match match against Italy’s Lorenzo Sonego and Andrea Vavasori on Tuesday. He lost his last 16 match on Tuesday to Italy’s Lorenzo Sonego and Andrea Wavasori after a 15-1 third-set tiebreak in a match that lasted more than two hours.
A statement from the Italian Tennis Federation said, “People with whom Fognini had direct contact were placed under all restrictive detachment and new swabs were created,” the Italian Tennis Federation said in a statement.
Fognini, who won the Monte Carlo Masters last year, was out for six months this year after surgery on both ankles.