Ongoing effort to bring back 7 Indians kidnapped in Libya: Government | Ongoing effort to bring back 7 Indians kidnapped in Libya: Government

New Delhi, 8 October (IANS). Seven Indians were kidnapped in Libya last month, to which the Foreign Ministry said on Thursday that India is making all efforts to get them released.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Anurag Shrivastava said in his weekly press briefing that the government was in touch with family members of the abducted citizens.

“We want to reassure them that we are making every effort to locate our citizens and free them as soon as possible by negotiating and coordinating with Libyan authorities and employers.”

The spokesman said that the abducted Indians included people from Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh. Foreign Ministry spokesman Anurag Shrivastava told the press conference that these Indians were abducted on September 14 from Asahverif area when they were going to Tripoli airport to catch a flight to India. Srivastava said that he is working in a construction and oil field supply company.

The spokesman said, the hijackers contacted their employer and showed photographs as proof that Indian citizens are safe.

He said India’s Embassy in Tunisia, which is also handling Libyan affairs, is currently in touch with Libyan government and international organizations. Also, international organizations present there have asked Indian citizens to seek their help in saving.

An advisory was issued by the central government in September 2015, asking Indian citizens to refrain from traveling to Libya in view of the volatile security situation. In May 2016, the government imposed a complete travel ban in Libya in view of the deteriorating security scenario. The travel ban is still in force.

AKK / SGK

Source

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: